The Pros and Cons of Employment Drug Screening
Workplace drug testing started decades ago with an idea to reduce the number of people that abuse illegal substances during and outside the workplace. However, it is still one of the most controversial issues that are happening.
As an employer, it is a logical assumption that you should know everything about your staff members. The main problem lies in the idea that employees consider this particular process a violation of privacy and rights to do anything outside the workplace.
Before you check out the blog on how to pass a drug test in 2 weeks, you should know that from the employer’s point of view, drug testing is vital for maintaining perfect productivity and reduce the possibility for accidents.
Advantages of Employment Drug Screening
- Safer Working Environment – One of the most significant benefits, as well as reasons for conducting drug screenings, is to maintain a safe and healthy workplace. The logical perspective tells us that all employees that are under the influence of illicit drugs pose a safety risk to other employees and the workplace in general.
This is especially important when it comes to risky jobs such as operating heavy machinery, handling hazardous chemicals and being a professional driver. In case that you work under the influence, you are risking to create an accident that will affect everyone around you. Therefore, it does not matter in which industry you are operating, because every single accident at the workplace could lead to severe losses, deaths, and injuries.
As soon as this particular problem happens, you are going to expose your company to numerous public relations issues and liabilities that may lead your business towards bankruptcy.
- Avoid Legal Liability – As soon as an accident happens, you can face charges as well as legal liability. You should note that if an accident occurred due to your failure as an employer to create and maintain a safe working environment, you might face severe problems afterward.
Therefore, you should conduct drug-screening processes because that way, you can identify workers that are posing a risk to everyone due to drug abuse or use. We can easily say that this particular type of drug screening is the effort to keep workers safe as well as the environment. That way, you will be able to reduce and even minimize workplace accidents, which may lead to serious financial expenses and many more. You probably know that there are differences between legal and illegal drugs, so you should check here to understand the difference.
- You Will Help Employees With Drug Issues – Even though in most cases, companies will terminate the working contract with an employee with a drug abuse problem, other more thoughtful employers can give you a second chance as well.
Prominent companies have well-established alcohol and drug testing policies, which means that people that are working for you can benefit from them, especially if you wish to help them get rehab and avoid addiction issues. You can expect from your employer to get into a rehabilitation or recovery program for free.
By doing this, you will get a chance to cleanse yourself thoroughly from substance abuse, and you can continue working after completing program. That is a much more practical choice for employers, mainly because they do not have to hire new people and conduct training with them, which can be both times consuming and expensive.
- It Is Simple To Conduct Them – You can rest assured because employers tend to use drug testing methods that are not invasive as blood analysis, for instance. Mouth swab, as well as urine samples, are the most common choices for companies all across the globe. The main reason for their popularity is because they are fast to conduct, and they will provide you accurate as well as reliable results in a matter of minutes from taking a sample.
- Better Productivity – We have mentioned above that drug testing can help you reduce the number of accidents that may lead your company towards bankruptcy. Therefore, you have to indicate to future clients that you have a safe environment for working and that will motivate your workers to increase their productivity, especially since they know that, you will do everything in your power to maintain exceptional safety. According to a few studies, companies that feature drug screenings have reported improved productivity, employee morale as well as job performance.
Disadvantages of Employment Drug Screening
- Unfair Sacking – When it comes to drug screening at the workplace, we can state numerous examples of people that had problems due to it. For instance, most employees that fail the screening will be fired, and that may urge them to file a suit in which they state that they have been wrongfully terminated. Even if